In public relations measurement, keep ‘context’, as a mantra!
Posted by Team @ The PR Workshop
How many times has someone walked up to your organization with this as a pitch – hey, look, you are working with xyzee agency, and I see that you are not getting optimal coverage across platforms : and to seemingly substantiate the claim presents the easy tool in the PR weaponry – the competitive news track?
The tendency of any management or internal communications team is to jump at the prospect of having more column cms’ and more clipping and mentions in prime time television media! At the quest of measurement of PR, the crucial parameter – context – is given a miss.
Stories about your organization or about your product, services or people, are not the media’s making… they are always your making – what PR does is to amplify the talking points, at the appropriate time, in the right context. And when the mention or coverage is apt enough, that is a winning communication that some pointless ‘friendly journo’ spiel on your product, which most in your target audience will attach little value to.
Both in the practice of PR (which now effectively is trans-media story telling), and in PR outcome measurement, CONTEXT is the thing to look for. Keep asking, if the media or social-mention of your brand or people, is in the right context in the right form/media.
Good to remember this – one column inch in the right place may be more relevant for your communications program, which a ten plus column inches in a media that does not anyway matter.
So, when someone comes in with a pitch which only speaks the language of quantity (measurement), ask you, whether it will impact to the power of context.
Remember, context is the most relevant and powerful PR measure mantra!
- PR can’t be measured? You need a new agency (smokinggunpr.co.uk)
- How Come PR Gets No Respect? (mediabistro.com)
- PR garners better results (micahdorfner.wordpress.com)
- 7 Silly Mistakes to Stop Making in Your PR Pitches (hubspot.com)
- How the Evolution of PR Mingles With Content Marketing (hubspot.com)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
About Team @ The PR WorkshopCommunications professional, PR practitioner, HR & Talent acquisition pro. Love & live by working on customer centric co-created and do-able communication strategies across platforms! Live in Chennai, India
Posted on December 4, 2012, in brand, champion, communications outreach pro, context, information integrity, prmeasure, social, socialchampion, socmed and tagged business, communication, context, contextual PR, corp comm, Crisis management, Engagement, Marketing and Advertising, Measurement, Media Monitoring, public relations, social-media, socmed. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.